Daily Art ... day 17


I was overpainting a photo of gorgeous film star Hedy Lamarr last night, when I had an epiphany of sort. Or a personal "Eureka" moment, rather. You see, I really hated the bodice of the dress Miss Lamarr was wearing in the photo -- kind of fussy and patterned and not really to my taste. So I started pasting bits of torn up paper over it, and, gosh darn it, it looks okay! In fact, I really like the contrast between the more three dimensional treatment of her face and the frankly two dimensional, decorative treatment of her clothes.

Now, of course I know this isn't exactly new, but it opened up a little door for me, personally. Woo hoo!

Bonus Hedy Lamarr quote: “Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.”

Comments

Unknown said…
I am enjoying your blog. Especially the bonus Hedy Lamarr quote! When I clicked on the brain for my blog's readability, it said "High School". I am completely demoralized.
Shannon said…
That's very pretty. I like the torn up paper for the clothes.
Kellybot said…
Great dress! Very ukiyo-e.
Ukiyo-e is my favourite new word, thanks kellybot ...

And thanks karine and anodyne, too!

I was terrified to click on the brain -- I thought, possibly, preschool would be an option ...

Popular Posts